I’ve always used iTunes to manage my sharing and remote playing of my media library within my home.
As you no doubt know, iTunes sucks at sharing/streaming media. I used iTunes because it was the path of least resistance despite all the verbal abuse I’ve hurled at it…it’s bloated, slow, crashes etc…but that’s a whole different article…. 😉
Enter Plex. My Padawan at work turned me on to the Plex Media Server and my media consumption has been upgraded beyond my wildest imagination.
Continue reading “Multimedia Library Server”
Since I rehosted with WordPress.com some of the articles didn’t move over properly. Things are missing like slashes and what not. I ‘ll be fixing them over time but if you spot one let me know.
Oh the joys of self hosting. Hardware issues are 100% your problem. The sites have been up and down all weekend. Hopefully the RAID array has had its fun and is done playing games.
Just for fun and, well, a learning experience I have SSL’d my site. Why? Why not.
Every good Infrastructure Engineer/Manager should know how and now I do. It was much simpler than I thought.
If you need a good, simple SSL certificate that will cost you nothing I recommend www.startssl.com They offer a simple Class 1 SSL certificate that is great for blogs and non-eCommerce platforms. They’re not as secure as Class 2 or 3 but you have to understand what the classes mean.
Basically a Class 1 doesn’t require any extensive proof of who you or your organization are. The other Classes verify more information about who is getting the certificate and what they’re doing with it. Since my site is just my useless thoughts, Class 1 is just fine.
Hit them up if you need a simple SSL cert. Class 1 certificates are free so if you’re experimenting that’s definitely the way to go.
More on what I did after the jump.
Continue reading “Holy SSL Batman…”
Since I merged http://www.arduinoeverything.com into my primary blog I’ve found lots of broken images and galleries. I’m working on fixing them as I find them. If you find one please leave a comment and I’ll fix it.
Apparently some URLs to images are embedded in the posts. I did a nice SQL search and replace on these and I think I got them all.
For the geeky out there and my own reference this is what that SQL statement looked like:
[php]UPDATE wp_table SET field_name = REPLACE(field_name, ‘/wp/’, ‘/’) WHERE field_name LIKE “%jeffw.net/wp/%”;[/php]
I wish to God Almighty I was making this up. I have NEVER in my 20+ years as a network/infrastructure engineer said this to a customer. I haven’t even considered it. It was always a joke you told colleges but never, ever said with any honesty to a customer.
Time Warner said the following:
“Solar activity this time of year causes issues with internet and television service.” Continue reading “Time Warner. If you’re not laughing yet you will be.”
Now that all the arduinoeverything.com posts are here I have to sort out the images. They’re still pointing to the other domain. They work but need to be updated.
Also on tap is performance. Holy hell I had no idea things had gotten so slow.