CentOS to MS Hyper-V Volume Issues

After making an image of a physical linux box (Dell hardware running CentOS), I converted the IMG file to a VDH file and after booting had many issue. One of which was the following error which caused all databases on the respective volume to fail because the volume was in read-only mode.

EXT3-fs error (device hda3) in start_transaction: Journal has aborted

Turns out, the system is telling me that it’s detected a file system/journal mismatch, and it can’t utilize the journal any longer. When this situation pops up, the file system gets mounted read-only. To fix the situation, I had to boot the system (now in the VM environment) in single user mode, dismount the volume and fix it.

I first started by removing the journal from the file system:

# tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/hda3

Then I tried to fsck it to correct any possible problems:

# e2fsck -p -f -v /dev/hda3

Unfortunately this lead me to another error: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY. (i.e., without -a or -p options).

Ugh. fsck again….I had originally run it without the -f option and it found no errors, yet it refused to mount in read-write mode. So now running it sans the -p option, -f forcing it to check it anyway, seems to have helped- but this time I needed to be present to hit y to every single error. There were hundreds.

Once that finished I ran it again with the -y option to see if it picked up anything and it was clean!

Time to make a new journal which makes the partition an ext3 file system again:

# tune2fs -j /dev/hda3

I can now mount the partition as an ext3 partition:

# mount -t ext3 /dev/hda3 /mnt/fixed

After rebooting the system seems happy once again with no mounting errors. Quick and simple!

HP Parts Finder

HP for the most part is a pain in the butt when it comes to finding parts for servers. BUT- I found a neat resource that lets you not only find parts but specific ones based on your server serial number. Total win.

It’s called the HP PartSurfer.

Finding a motherboard part number with just a serial number is stupid simple. Love it.

Thanks HP!

The server was unable to allocate from the system nonpaged pool because the server reached the configured limit for nonpaged pool allocations.

When you use your Windows 7 workstation for heavy network file copying the lan manager server tends to run out of memory. By making the following setting changes you can avoid this and enhance the file copy speeds.

Set the following registry key to ‘1′:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\LargeSystemCache

and set the following registry key to ‘3′:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters\Size

After making these changes, restart for them to take effect.

Additionally, this entry will likely be in your System event log:

Log Name: System
Source: srv
Date: 9/29/2014 2:29:02 PM
Event ID: 2017
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: XYZ
Description:
The server was unable to allocate from the system nonpaged pool because the server reached the configured limit for nonpaged pool allocations.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="srv" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">2017</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-09-29T18:29:02.941718000Z" />
<EventRecordID>77293445</EventRecordID>
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>XYZ</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>\Device\LanmanServer</Data>
<Binary>0000040001002C0000000000E10700C0000000009A0000C00000000000000000000000000000000005000000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>

How To Export Scheduled Tasks from Windows Task Scheduler Into Excel

I am a consummate network documenter. As such I get all the details. Here’s how I grab all the task scheduler items from remote servers into my master Excel sheet.

This can be run from your workstation and exports the data in CSV format which Excel just loves.

schtasks /query /S SERVERNAME /FO CSV /V >taskscheduler-export.csv

This dumps the CSV into the current directory. Just open in Excel and massage as needed.

Outlook: Can’t create file : XYZ.pdf. Right-click the folder you want to create the file in, and then click properties on the shortcut menu to check your permissions for the folder.

Error in Outlook 2010:

"Outlook: Can't create file : XYZ.pdf. Right-click the folder you want to create the file in, and then click properties on the shortcut menu to check your permissions for the folder."

This is an annoying message. Even after fixing the users profile permissions it made no difference. This is what worked for me:

  1. Open REGEDIT.EXE and go to Edit -> Find… In the Find dialog box type “OutlookSecureTempFolder” without the quotes.
  2. You may also find the key here without searching if you know the users key:  HKEY_USERS\%USER PROFILE ID NUMBER%\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\Security
  3. When you find it the key will contain the actual folder location, and will look like:
    1. C:\Documents and Settings\%USER_NAME%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLK#\ (where # is a random letter or number)
  4. Copy the location of that folder.
  5. Click on Start -> Run… and paste the folder location from step #4 then click OK.
  6. Explorer will open that folder, then delete all files present.
  7. Restart Outlook and you should be able to open your attachments.

Last time I did this I found over 14k files in that location. Yikes!